Greetings from the Womb

On Wednesday, we were finally able to meet our baby. Finally!! We got to see many different angles of our beautiful little nugget. It was amazing to look at little details like the heart, spine and brain. It's absolutely incredible to be able to see two defined hemispheres of the brain and each little vertebrae of the spine! Modern ultrasounds amaze me.

Here's a profile picture of our little baby:

In this photo, you can see the baby's right hand just on top of it's nose, as well as it's heart in the center of the torso. The left leg is curled up so you can just see the knee on the left edge of the picture. It's just so cool!!

One of the things I loved to see during the exam was the fact that our baby was moving around like crazy during it all. I couldn't feel it at all because of how hard the technician was pressing the ultrasound camera thing into my stomach, but it was fun to see the baby on it's back one minute, and upside down at the next! Now I know I'm not just really sensitive to the movement, but we do have a very active baby. It's so fun to feel it move now that I've seen what it's doing down there. Every kick and roll makes it feel more like a real person in there!

It's been a big week, as far as pregnancy goes. The same day as our ultrasound, I went for a morning walk with Shanna. We walked about two miles and then stopped to talk before we separated. After ten minutes of talking, I began to feel nauseous and headache-y. I leaned against a pole for support and tried to breathe, but it just got worse. My vision became spotty and darkened and a cold sweat ran through my body. Then, my vision went totally dark and apparently I fainted for a few seconds. Next thing I knew (which I thought was seamless...I didn't realize I had fainted), I sat down on the pavement and there was a woman I didn't know at my left side. Shanna was calling Nick to come pick me up and there were ten people staring down at me, wondering if they should call 911. Thankfully, after sitting on the pavement for ten minutes and drinking some water I was totally fine. Shanna and I walked back home together and when I got back, I ate some food and had more to drink. When I asked the doctor what happened to me, he said it was most likely a drop in blood pressure combined with a lack of food and fluids. I just need to be more careful now that baby is taking all of my nutrition and energy! I was glad to know that nothing was seriously wrong with me, but it was still scary!

So no more skipping breakfast for me. I need more consistency in meals and calories than normal. So if you see me skipping out of a snack or not finishing my lunch, encourage me to eat more! It's good for the both of us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment